Council of Independent Colleges Historic Campus Architecture Project

 

 
Garden of Prayer

Click on image titles for larger views.
Institution Name: Southern Adventist University
Original/Historic Place Name: Garden of Prayer
Location on Campus: 4991 Promenade, near Miller Hall
Date(s) of Construction:
1984dedication; November 2 Southern Adventist Landscape Dept.
1985opened in October
Designer: Southern's landscape department
Type of Place: Landscape site
Style: (Glossary)
Significance: landscape, religion
Narrative: see below
References: see below
Function:
1985-present (2006)memorial site
1985-present (2006)outdoor space (site for reflection, meditation, and prayer)
 

Narrative:
The Garden of Prayer was funded by Ruth McKee (founder of Little Debbie Snack Cakes) as a memorial to her parents, Symon and Leota King. Landcaping, sidewalks and roads have been planned to maximize the beauty of the natural mountainside and valley.
 

References:

Gardner, Elva Babcock. Southern Missionary College: A School of His Planning, 1892-1962. Starkey Printing Company, Chattanooga, TN, 1962.

Gardner, Elva Babcock. Southern Missionary College: A School of His Planning, 1892-1972. Revised by J. Mabel Wood. Chattanooga, TN: Board of Trustees, 1975.

Pettibone, Dennis. A Century of Challenge: The Story of Southern College, 1892-1992. Collegedale, TN: College Press, 1992.

 

Contact us / About Site / About CIC
© 2006
Council of Independent Colleges
Washington, DC
All rights reserved
Last update: November 2006