Council of Independent Colleges Historic Campus Architecture Project

 

 
Doll House

Click on image titles for larger views.
Institution Name: Southern Adventist University
Original/Historic Place Name: Doll House
Location on Campus: 4895 University Dr.
Date(s) of Construction:
pre- 1917original construction
Designer: Thatcher, Mr.
Type of Place: Individual building
Style: Regionalist/Vernacular (Glossary)
Significance:
Narrative: see below
References: see below
Materials:
Foundation: logs
Walls: wood siding
Roof: asphalt shingles
 
Function:
ca. 1917-present (2006)other
 

Narrative:
The Doll House was built by Mr. Thatcher as a playhouse for his daughter before Southern Training School moved to the Thatcher Switch site and changed its name to Southern Junior College in 1917. It had many uses as the college developed: President's office, music studio, pest house when a smallpox epidemic struck the school, storehouse for seed, beehive supply shed, shoe repair shop, barbershop, dormitory room and prayer room. It is not on display in a prominent campus location.
 

References:
 

Contact us / About Site / About CIC
© 2006
Council of Independent Colleges
Washington, DC
All rights reserved
Last update: November 2006