Council of Independent Colleges Historic Campus Architecture Project

 

 
Daniells Hall

Click on image titles for larger views.
Institution Name: Southern Adventist University
Original/Historic Place Name: A.G. Daniells Memorial Library
Location on Campus: 4891 Promenade (main entrance); 4891 Jones Dr. (delivery)
Date(s) of Construction:
1945-1947original construction Smith, Gordon
Designer: Gordon Smith
Type of Place: Individual building
Style: Colonial revival (Glossary)
Significance:
Narrative: see below
References: see below
Materials:
Foundation: brick
Walls: "red-line" brick trimmed with Indiana limestone
Roof: asphalt shingles
 
Function:
1946-1970library
1970-1997academic department building (mathematics, physics and computer science)
ca. 2004-present (2006)academic department building (social work and family studies)
 

Narrative:
Finished in 1946, this building was named the A. G. Daniells Memorial Library in honor of a long-term president of the General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists. After the completion of McKee Library, Daniells Hall housed the mathematics, physics and computer science departments until they moved to the new Hickman Science Center in 1997. Daniells Hall currently houses the Social Work & Family Studies Department.
 

References:
 

Contact us / About Site / About CIC
© 2006
Council of Independent Colleges
Washington, DC
All rights reserved
Last update: November 2006