Ocean Vista Cottage
| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
Built in 1914, this cottage is known as Ocean Vista because of the excellent view of the waterfront. It was constructed in front of a rocky beach, backed by a hillside and bordered by the forest. Until the 1980s, this building was used as the Presbyterian Manse and housed the minister that served the church in Sitka. Today it serves as a private residence and houses the college Chaplain and his family.
It is a two-story Portland Bungalow constructed of Washington fir with a poured concrete basement. The main facade (south) has two large windows installed to provide an unobstructed view of Sitka Sound.
Years of use and deferred maintenance have taken their toll, resulting in a building in need to substantial rehabilitation. It received National Historical Landmark Status on August 7, 2001.
Crittendon, Edwin B. Survey [Sheldon Jackson College]. [CCC Architects and Planners, Anchorage, AK], 1987-1995.
Clemens, Janet, Chris Allan, Linda Cook, Heidi Siegel, and Amanda Zeman. Sheldon Jackson School. National Register of Historic Places designation report. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/National Park Service, 1972.