Council of Independent Colleges Historic Campus Architecture Project

 

 
Sheldon Jackson Museum

Click on image titles for larger views.
Institution Name: Sheldon Jackson College
Original/Historic Place Name: Sheldon Jackson Museum
Location on Campus: College Dr.
Date(s) of Construction:
1889original wood building Geddes, Charles
1895concrete building replaced wood frame
Designer: Charles Geddes
Type of Place: Individual building
Style: Other (Glossary)
Significance: architecture, engineering, history
Narrative: see below
References: see below
Materials:
Foundation: reinforced concrete structure
Walls: reinforced concrete
Roof:
 
Function:
1889-present (2006)museum
 

Narrative:
Sheldon Jackson Museum was the first museum in the territory of Alaska and its first concrete building. The museum was commissioned by Sheldon Jackson and designed by architect Charles Geddes of Boston to house Jackson's collections. This one-story octagonal structure is an important integrated element of the Ludlow and Peabody plan.

Ownership of the museum and collection was transferred to the State of Alaska in 1983, with the stipulation that the collection would remain on campus.
 

References:

Crittendon, Edwin B. Survey [Sheldon Jackson College]. [CCC Architects and Planners, Anchorage, AK], 1987-1995.

Clemens, Janet, Chris Allan, Linda Cook, Heidi Siegel, and Amanda Zeman. Sheldon Jackson School. National Register of Historic Places designation report. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/National Park Service, 1972.

 

Contact us / About Site / About CIC
© 2006
Council of Independent Colleges
Washington, DC
All rights reserved
Last update: November 2006