Council of Independent Colleges Historic Campus Architecture Project

 

 
Fraser Hall

Click on image titles for larger views.
Institution Name: Sheldon Jackson College
Original/Historic Place Name: Fraser Hall
Location on Campus: 801 Lincoln St.
Date(s) of Construction:
1910-1911original design Ludlow & Peabody
Designer: Ludlow and Peabody
Type of Place: Individual building
Style: Regionalist/Vernacular, Other (Glossary)
Significance: architecture, engineering, history
Narrative: see below
References: see below
Materials:
Foundation: concrete, wood
Walls: wood, slate, and plaster
Roof: shingle, shake
 
Function:
ca. 1911residence hall
ca. 2004-present (2006)faculty offices
ca. 2004-present (2006)classrooms
 

Narrative:
This structure is part of the original Ludlow & Peabody design and is located on the quadrangle. The building was named for Thomas Fraser, a member of the Women's Board of Home Missions in California. Fraser was also well known in the Home Missions programs on the Pacific Coast and helped to organize nearly 100 churches.

The first floor is currently being used as space for offices for five professors, campus word processing, and the student computer lab. The second floor is being used as individual office space for six professors, as well as two generic classroom spaces and one classroom space that also holds the Educational Resource Library.

This building is generally adequate. However, years of use and deferred maintenance has resulted in a need for rehabilitation. The building is also in need of fire, life safety, and ADA upgrades. It received National Historical Landmark Status on August 7th, 2001.
 

References:

Crittendon, Edwin B. Survey [Sheldon Jackson College]. [CCC Architects and Planners, Anchorage, AK], 1987-1995.

Clemens, Janet, Chris Allan, Linda Cook, Heidi Siegel, and Amanda Zeman. Sheldon Jackson School. National Register of Historic Places designation report. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/National Park Service, 1972.

 

Contact us / About Site / About CIC
© 2006
Council of Independent Colleges
Washington, DC
All rights reserved
Last update: November 2006