| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
This structure is part of the original Ludlow & Peabody design and is located on the quadrangle. The building was originally named the Home Missions Monthly Hall after the magazine that helped to raise the money for construction. It was later renamed for Gladys Whitmore, who faithfully served the school from 1939-1975, in which time she taught science and served as the High School's President.
The second floor was recently leased to SEARHC as outpatient living space. Due to recent growth in the student body, this contract has been terminated, and the second floor is being used as student living area.
The building is generally adequate. However, years of use and deferred maintenance has resulted in a need for rehabilitation. The building is also in need of fire, life safety, and ADA upgrades. It received National Historical Landmark Status on August 7th, 2001.
Crittendon, Edwin B. Survey [Sheldon Jackson College]. [CCC Architects and Planners, Anchorage, AK], 1987-1995.
Clemens, Janet, Chris Allan, Linda Cook, Heidi Siegel, and Amanda Zeman. Sheldon Jackson School. National Register of Historic Places designation report. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/National Park Service, 1972.