North Pacific Hall
| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
Part of the original campus master plan, North Pacific Hall was designed as a dormitory for the older female students, with a maximum capacity of 38. The hall was named for the North Pacific Board of Missions and is located at the Northwest corner of the campus green. In 1952, the original front porch was removed and a new concrete one put in its place. French doors were added at the same time to enhance the entrance to what was then the reception hall where the older girls could use the skills they learned in the practice house by receiving callers and acting as hostesses.
The first floor is currently being used as administrative offices that include the Alaska Native Studies department, the Academic Success Coordinator, the Sitka Fine Arts Camp, and the Dean of Student Life. The second floor consists of 13 co-ed dorm rooms for honor students and is maintained as a quiet living space. The second floor also houses a TV lounge and game room plus an apartment on the back side of the building.
The location of this building as part of the quadrangle and its current use for Native Studies and student life makes it aesthetically and historically essential to the campus makeup. It received National Historic Landmark Status on August 7th 2001.
Crittendon, Edwin B. Survey [Sheldon Jackson College]. [CCC Architects and Planners, Anchorage, AK], 1987-1995.
Clemens, Janet, Chris Allan, Linda Cook, Heidi Siegel, and Amanda Zeman. Sheldon Jackson School. National Register of Historic Places designation report. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/National Park Service, 1972.