| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
This structure is part of the original Ludlow & Peabody design and is located on the west side of the main quadrangle. As a young girls' dormitory, Stevenson Hall was designed to house 32 young women. Many young girls lived in this building after arriving at Sheldon Jackson from an orphanage. This was their first home at the school.
The building is named after Mrs. Caroline Stevenson, who served as the Synod President of California for many years and was an avid supporter of and advocate for the school
An addition of a west bay was added in 1923. Remodeling in 1952 divided the large dormitory rooms into smaller rooms. Additional remodeling in 1971 converted the area to accommodate double occupancy rooms. The first floor is currently being used as administrative offices that include the Offices of the President, the Dean of Academic Affairs, and College Advancement. The second floor is used as housing for women Volunteers-in-Mission. This building received National Historical Landmark Status on August 7th, 2001.
Crittendon, Edwin B. Survey [Sheldon Jackson College]. [CCC Architects and Planners, Anchorage, AK], 1987-1995.
Clemens, Janet, Chris Allan, Linda Cook, Heidi Siegel, and Amanda Zeman. Sheldon Jackson School. National Register of Historic Places designation report. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/National Park Service, 1972.