Tillie Paul Manor
| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
This building, located to the west of Jeff Davis Street, was built in 1926 under the supervision of M. A. Brown, an elder of the First Presbyterian Church of Seattle. Tille Paul Manor was to serve as an infirmary and hospital for students at Sheldon Jackson School. From 1944-1959, the hospital also served as the primary hospital for the Sitka community.
The building was named after Mthilda Paul Tamaree, known as Tille Paul, who spent 17 years assisting with domestic sciences and nursing. Arriving in 1917, shortly after her husband died in a boat accident, Tille did much more than her assigned duties at SJ. While on campus she raised her three boys, who also attended SJ, and made a significant difference in the lives of many students. She began a temperance organization, the New Covenant Legion, which was the seed that formed the Alaska Native Brotherhood. In 1923, just a few years after women were given the right to vote, she was arrested for accompanying an Indian to vote Her son William Paul took up her case, and this eventually led to the Indian Rights Act. She went on to become the first woman elder in the Presbyterian Church, and all of her sons became leaders in the Native community.
The building received National Landmark Status on August 7, 2001. It is currently in poor condition and in immediate need of roof repair, piping, electrical replacement, and significant fire, life, and safety upgrades.