Council of Independent Colleges Historic Campus Architecture Project

 

 
Wetmore

Click on image titles for larger views.
Institution Name: Salve Regina University
Original/Historic Place Name: Chateau-sur-Mer Stables
Location on Campus: Lawrence Ave.
Date(s) of Construction:
1882-1883original construction Bradford, Seth
1885enlargement George Champlin Mason & Son
Designer: Seth Bradford (original); George Champlin Mason & Son (enlargement)
Type of Place: Individual building
Style: Victorian, Other (Glossary)
Significance: architecture, culture, history
Narrative: see below
References: see below
Materials:
Foundation:
Walls: exterior: brick, sandstone; glazed tile walls interior in stables, and interior brick
Roof: slate shingle roof
 
Function:
ca. 1883other (stables)
ca. 2004-present (2006)facility management building
 

Narrative:
Inspiring in its own right, this unusual brick building was the carriage house for the Wetmore family. Seth Bradford designed and built the original stables at the west end. George Champlin Mason & Son doubled the size of the building and added an Italian pediment. In addition to having a successful career as an architect, Mason was an important local historian and publisher of the Newport Mercury.

The estate was purchased by the Preservation Society of Newport County in 1970, and the carriage house was sold to Salve Regina University on March 5, 1970. The Facilities department will relocate, and the building will be adapted for academic use.
 

References:

Harrington, Richard B. Ochre Point-Cliffs Historic District [including Salve Regina University]. National Register of Historic Places designation report. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/ National Park Service, 1975.

Moe, Richard. A Walking Tour of Salve Regina University. Pamphlet. [Newport, RI: Salve Regina University, n.d.].

 

Contact us / About Site / About CIC
© 2006
Council of Independent Colleges
Washington, DC
All rights reserved
Last update: November 2006