Council of Independent Colleges Historic Campus Architecture Project

 

 
Jean and David W. Wallace Hall

Click on image titles for larger views.
Institution Name: Salve Regina University
Original/Historic Place Name: Fairholme Carriage House
Location on Campus: Ruggles Ave.
Date(s) of Construction:
1874-1875original construction Furness, Frank Furness & Hewitt
Designer: Frank Furness (Furness & Hewitt)
Type of Place: Individual building
Style: Victorian, Other (Glossary)
Significance: architecture, culture, history, landscape
Narrative: see below
References: see below
Materials:
Foundation:
Walls: brick, stucco
Roof: asphalt shingle
 
Function:
1875-1991private residence (and carriage house)
ca. 2004-present (2006)residence hall
 

Narrative:
Like the privately owned Fairholme manor house near the cliffs at the end of Ruggles Avenue built for Professor Fairman Rogers, this multipurpose cottage echoes cream-colored stucco surfaces and stick-style wooden beams of Tudor revival style. The massive, arched entranceways for horse-drawn rigs remain a distinguishing feature. It served as gardener's cottage to Fairholme in the years it was owned by Anita O'Keefe Young and Robert R. Young. Acquired by the university in 1991, it was converted to student suites by the Newport Collaborative Architects, Inc. The rose gardens were saved and are flourishing on campus.
 

References:

Harrington, Richard B. Ochre Point-Cliffs Historic District [including Salve Regina University]. National Register of Historic Places designation report. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/ National Park Service, 1975.

Moe, Richard. A Walking Tour of Salve Regina University. Pamphlet. [Newport, RI: Salve Regina University, n.d.].

 

Contact us / About Site / About CIC
© 2006
Council of Independent Colleges
Washington, DC
All rights reserved
Last update: November 2006