Council of Independent Colleges Historic Campus Architecture Project

 

 
Hedges, The

Click on image titles for larger views.
Institution Name: Salve Regina University
Original/Historic Place Name: Althorpe Carriage House
Location on Campus: Lawrence Ave.
Date(s) of Construction:
1889-1890original construction Peabody & Stearns
Designer: Peabody & Stearns
Type of Place: Individual building
Style: Colonial revival (Glossary)
Significance: architecture, culture, history
Narrative: see below
References: see below
Materials:
Foundation:
Walls:
Roof: probably originally wood shingle
 
Function:
1890-1964private residence (and carriage house)
1964-present (2006)residence hall
 

Narrative:
Originally the carriage house of Althorpe, the Hedges was originally owned by Mr. and Mrs. John Thompson Spencer and later, amongst others, by the Countess Marguerite de Pourtales. It was acquired by the university in 1964 and converted into a student residence.
 

References:

Harrington, Richard B. Ochre Point-Cliffs Historic District [including Salve Regina University]. National Register of Historic Places designation report. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/ National Park Service, 1975.

Moe, Richard. A Walking Tour of Salve Regina University. Pamphlet. [Newport, RI: Salve Regina University, n.d.].

 

Contact us / About Site / About CIC
© 2006
Council of Independent Colleges
Washington, DC
All rights reserved
Last update: November 2006