Council of Independent Colleges Historic Campus Architecture Project

 

 
Founders Hall

Click on image titles for larger views.
Institution Name: Salve Regina University
Original/Historic Place Name: Althorpe
Location on Campus: Ruggles Ave.
Date(s) of Construction:
1889-1890original construction Peabody & Stearns
Designer: Peabody & Stearns
Type of Place: Individual building
Style: Victorian, Other (Glossary)
Significance: architecture, culture, history, landscape
Narrative: see below
References: see below
Materials:
Foundation:
Walls: clapboard
Roof:
 
Function:
1890-1964private residence
ca. 2004-present (2006)residence hall
 

Narrative:
Founders Hall was originally named Althorpe. It was a two and one-half story building with a welcoming, wraparound veranda and was first owned by Mr. and Mrs. John Thompson Spencer of Philadelphia. A prominent Philadelphia lawyer, Mr. Spencer was active in turn-of-the-century plans for the improvement of Newport's public spaces. The architectural firm of Peabody & Stearns adapted formal Georgian details like pedimented dormer windows, a fan light entrance, and roof trim to the informal ambiance of a seaside villa. It was later purchased by Countess Marguerite de Pourtales. The rooms have been subdivided and the entryway has changed. The building was purchased by Salve Regina University in 1964.
 

References:

Harrington, Richard B. Ochre Point-Cliffs Historic District [including Salve Regina University]. National Register of Historic Places designation report. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/ National Park Service, 1975.

Moe, Richard. A Walking Tour of Salve Regina University. Pamphlet. [Newport, RI: Salve Regina University, n.d.].

 

Contact us / About Site / About CIC
© 2006
Council of Independent Colleges
Washington, DC
All rights reserved
Last update: November 2006