| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
The President's house was originally the carriage house of the William Watts Sherman estate. It passed through the hands of several owners until it was acquired by the university in 1992-1993.
Designed by Richardson and drafted by Stanford White, the house was built in a style that is compatible with the main house across the lawn. Although conceptualized in 1874, it was not constructed until 1912. Rose gardens, moved from the Fairholme estate, provide a beautiful gathering place for summer receptions.
Harrington, Richard B. Ochre Point-Cliffs Historic District [including Salve Regina University]. National Register of Historic Places designation report. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/ National Park Service, 1975.
Moe, Richard. A Walking Tour of Salve Regina University. Pamphlet. [Newport, RI: Salve Regina University, n.d.].