Council of Independent Colleges Historic Campus Architecture Project

 

 
Webster St. (no. 134)

Click on image titles for larger views.
Institution Name: Salve Regina University
Original/Historic Place Name: Rosevale Estate Carriage House
Location on Campus: Webster St.
Date(s) of Construction:
1892-1893original construction McKim, Mead & White
Designer: McKim, Mead & White
Type of Place: Individual building
Style: Colonial revival (Glossary)
Significance: architecture, culture, history
Narrative: see below
References: see below
Materials:
Foundation:
Walls:
Roof:
 
Function:
1893-2001private residence (and carriage house)
ca. 2001-present (2006)residence hall
 

Narrative:
The building at 134 Webster Street was originally the carriage house of the Rosevale Estate and was originally owned by George L. Rives. It was later owned by the Patykewich family, as Patykewich was the former groundskeeper of the estate, and then owned by Mary B.C. Dulles. It was purchased by Salve Regina University in 2001.
 

References:

Harrington, Richard B. Ochre Point-Cliffs Historic District [including Salve Regina University]. National Register of Historic Places designation report. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/ National Park Service, 1975.

Moe, Richard. A Walking Tour of Salve Regina University. Pamphlet. [Newport, RI: Salve Regina University, n.d.].

 

Contact us / About Site / About CIC
© 2006
Council of Independent Colleges
Washington, DC
All rights reserved
Last update: November 2006