Council of Independent Colleges Historic Campus Architecture Project

 

 
Ochre Lodge

Click on image titles for larger views.
Institution Name: Salve Regina University
Original/Historic Place Name: Julia H. Eldridge House
Location on Campus: Ruggles Ave.
Date(s) of Construction:
1882-1883original construction Newton, Dudley
Designer: Dudley Newton
Type of Place: Individual building
Style: Victorian, Other (Glossary)
Significance: architecture, culture, history
Narrative: see below
References: see below
Materials:
Foundation:
Walls: granite and bluestone on the first story and rustic wood shingles on the second
Roof: asphalt shingles
 
Function:
1883-1966private residence
ca. 2004-present (2006)residence hall
 

Narrative:
Ochre Lodge was originally named the Julia H. Eldridge House, after the original owner. The house was acquired by Anita O'Keefe Young (sister of painter Georgia O'Keefe) and Robert R. Young. They donated the house to the university in 1966.

Newport's premier architect, Dudley Newton, built this seaside manor for Julia Eldrige of New York. Using an imaginative combination of materials and textures typical of Queen Anne revival styles, with certain aspects affiliated with Colonial revival, this summer residence mixes granite and bluestone on the first story and rustic wood shingles on the second. The structure features balconies, alcoves, and verandas in a variety of beautiful woods and finishes. Newton drew inspiration from the Casino building (Tennis Hall of Fame) in Newport.

There is a large carriage house on the property which may be considered for re-use.
 

References:

Harrington, Richard B. Ochre Point-Cliffs Historic District [including Salve Regina University]. National Register of Historic Places designation report. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/ National Park Service, 1975.

Moe, Richard. A Walking Tour of Salve Regina University. Pamphlet. [Newport, RI: Salve Regina University, n.d.].

 

Contact us / About Site / About CIC
© 2006
Council of Independent Colleges
Washington, DC
All rights reserved
Last update: November 2006