Boat House, The
| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
The Boathouse, now used for classrooms and faculty offices, was originally the potting shed of the Vinland estate. It was originally owned by Catherine Lorillard Wolfe and acquired by Hamilton McKown Twombly and Florence Vanderbilt Twombly in 1896. The Vinland estate was then donated to Salve Regina University in 1955 by Mrs. Twombly's daughter, Mrs. William A. M. Burden.
The footprint of a greenhouse is attached to the potting shed. The greenhouse served the Ernest Bowditch designed gardens of the Vinland estate.
Harrington, Richard B. Ochre Point-Cliffs Historic District [including Salve Regina University]. National Register of Historic Places designation report. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/ National Park Service, 1975.
Moe, Richard. A Walking Tour of Salve Regina University. Pamphlet. [Newport, RI: Salve Regina University, n.d.].