| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
Marian Hall, originally the Caretaker's Cottage of Vinland Estate, was originally owned by Hamilton McKown Twombly and Florence Vanderbilt Twombly and was donated in 1955 to Salve Regina University in 1955, along with the rest of the Vinland estate, by Mrs. Twombly's daughter, Mrs. William A.M. Burden.
When the Twomblys decided to expand and redesign Vinland, they had a Colonial Revival cottage built for the caretaker. The clapboard exterior, gambrel roof, and open veranda express the freely-interpreted American Colonial vernacular that became popular in 1876 at the Philadelphia Centennial Exhibition.
Harrington, Richard B. Ochre Point-Cliffs Historic District [including Salve Regina University]. National Register of Historic Places designation report. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/ National Park Service, 1975.
Moe, Richard. A Walking Tour of Salve Regina University. Pamphlet. [Newport, RI: Salve Regina University, n.d.].