| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
Angelus Hall was originally the Carriage House belonging to Vinland Estate. It was donated to Salve Regina University by Mrs. William A. M. Burden in 1955, along with the rest of the Vinland Estate. It was then converted for use as classrooms and faculty offices.
This eclectic red sandstone support building was integral to the operations of the main house. Designed to accommodate both carriages and servants, it features a central overhand in the form of a hay lift characteristic of European rustic architecture. When Vinland was modified by the Twombly's between 1907 and 1910, the structure was expanded.
Harrington, Richard B. Ochre Point-Cliffs Historic District [including Salve Regina University]. National Register of Historic Places designation report. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/ National Park Service, 1975.
Moe, Richard. A Walking Tour of Salve Regina University. Pamphlet. [Newport, RI: Salve Regina University, n.d.].