| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
The Gatehouse, originally belonging to the Vinland Estate, was first owned by Catherine Lorillard Wolfe. It was acquired in 1896 by Hamilton McKown Twombly and Florence Vanderbilt Twombly, and Mrs. Twombley's daughter, Mrs. William A.M. Burden, donated the Vinland Estate, including the Gatehouse, to Salve Regina University in 1955.
The deep red sandstone of Vinland's dramatically Romanesque gatehouse, former home of the estate's head gardener, matches the main house. Its turrets, gables, and wrought-iron lantern present a storybook welcome to guests who enter the sweeping curve of the drive. A majestic copper beech tree flourishes alongside.
Harrington, Richard B. Ochre Point-Cliffs Historic District [including Salve Regina University]. National Register of Historic Places designation report. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/ National Park Service, 1975.
Moe, Richard. A Walking Tour of Salve Regina University. Pamphlet. [Newport, RI: Salve Regina University, n.d.].