Council of Independent Colleges Historic Campus Architecture Project

 

 
Munroe Center

Click on image titles for larger views.
Institution Name: Salve Regina University
Original/Historic Place Name: Wakehurst Stables
Location on Campus: Shephard Ave.
Date(s) of Construction:
1888-1889original construction Newton, Dudley
1990adaption to Information Technology Newport Collaborative
Designer: Dudley Newton
Type of Place: Individual building
Style: Gothic revival, Victorian, Other (Glossary)
Significance: architecture, culture, history
Narrative: see below
References: see below
Materials:
Foundation:
Walls: granite stone; limestone trim
Roof: large slate roof shingles
 
Function:
ca. 1889-1972other (stables)
ca. 1990-present (2006)other (information technology)
 

Narrative:
The Munroe Center was originally the stables for the Wakehurst Estate, owned by James J. Van Alen. The building was acquired by Salve Regina University in 1972 and named to honor the family of former board member Martin J. Munroe. It was adapted for use as an Information Technology center by Newport Collaborative ca. 1990.

The style is consonant with the original Wakehurst main house, echoing the Gothic lines and English manor style. It is u-shaped with an entrance courtyard, two-and-one-half stories, and has a gable roof and stone wall cover.
 

References:

Harrington, Richard B. Ochre Point-Cliffs Historic District [including Salve Regina University]. National Register of Historic Places designation report. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/ National Park Service, 1975.

Moe, Richard. A Walking Tour of Salve Regina University. Pamphlet. [Newport, RI: Salve Regina University, n.d.].

 

Contact us / About Site / About CIC
© 2006
Council of Independent Colleges
Washington, DC
All rights reserved
Last update: November 2006