Council of Independent Colleges Historic Campus Architecture Project

 

 
Mercy Hall

Click on image titles for larger views.
Institution Name: Salve Regina University
Original/Historic Place Name: Ochre Court Carriage House; Ochre Court Estate Stables
Location on Campus: Lawrence Ave.
Date(s) of Construction:
1889original construction Hunt, Richard Morris
2001art gallery and theater created in the former gymnasium space
Designer: Richard Morris Hunt
Type of Place: Individual building
Style: Victorian, Other (Glossary)
Significance: architecture, culture, history, landscape
Narrative: see below
References: see below
Materials:
Foundation:
Walls: red brick with white wood trim
Roof: asphalt shingle roof
 
Function:
ca. 1889-1948private residence
ca. 2001-present (2006)museum (art gallery)
ca. 2004-present (2006)academic department building (art, theater)
ca. 2004-present (2006)theater (two theaters)
ca. 2004-present (2006)faculty offices
ca. 2004-present (2006)classrooms (art studios)
 

Narrative:
Along with Ochre Court, Mercy Hall, originally the estate stables, were donated to Salve Regina University in 1948, a gift from Mr. and Mrs. Robert Goelet. The tower, red brick façade, and white trim recall continental stables that are characteristic of the eighteenth century. The building now contains a small theater and art gallery.
 

References:

Harrington, Richard B. Ochre Point-Cliffs Historic District [including Salve Regina University]. National Register of Historic Places designation report. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/ National Park Service, 1975.

Moe, Richard. A Walking Tour of Salve Regina University. Pamphlet. [Newport, RI: Salve Regina University, n.d.].

 

Contact us / About Site / About CIC
© 2006
Council of Independent Colleges
Washington, DC
All rights reserved
Last update: November 2006