Brewster All-Faiths Chapel
| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
"Salem College was founded under the auspices of the Seventh Day Baptist Education Society, but it has received financial support and student patronage from people of all other faiths represented in the community. The instruction and service of the school have always been nonsectarian." (Orestes S. Bond, Light of the Hills [Charleston, WV. Education Foundation, 1960], 261). The College-Seventh Day association was an informal one.
When the Valley of Learning was constructed in the early 1970s, people began to think about the need for a chapel as a nonsectarian place for meditation and worship for all students. It was made possible through a gift from Salem College Trustee Emeritus Colonel James H. Brewster, Jr. and June L. Brewster.
Bond, S. Orestes. The Light of the Hills: A History of Salem College. Charleston, WV: Education Foundation, 1960.
Davis, Dorothy Upton. History of Harrison County, West Virginia. Clarksburg, WV: American Association of University Women, 1970.
Smith, Myron J. 100 Years of Opportunity: A Pictorial History of Salem College, 1888-1988. Marceline, MO: Walsworth Press, 1988.
Zinn, Timothy G. A Historic Preservation Plan for Salem, West Virginia. Murfreesboro, TN, Middle Tennessee State University, 1995.