Trainer Home (President's House)
| Click on image titles for larger views. |
Trainer House (President's House, view from Terrace Ave. and Church St.), Salem International University
George H. Trainer was the fifth president of Salem College's Board of Directors. He and his brother were successful in the oil and gas business in North Central West Virginia. Soon after moving to Salem, he was elected a member of the Board and was elected to its presidency in 1940. Trainer served on the Board for forty-nine years. He also assisted the College financially in its formative years, both by signing for bank loans and through personal gifts.
Upon his death, his home was willed to the College to be used as the President's home. Other than a few small gifts to near relatives, he left his entire estate to Salem College.
Bond, S. Orestes. The Light of the Hills: A History of Salem College. Charleston, WV: Education Foundation, 1960.
Davis, Dorothy Upton. History of Harrison County, West Virginia. Clarksburg, WV: American Association of University Women, 1970.
Smith, Myron J. 100 Years of Opportunity: A Pictorial History of Salem College, 1888-1988. Marceline, MO: Walsworth Press, 1988.
Zinn, Timothy G. A Historic Preservation Plan for Salem, West Virginia. Murfreesboro, TN: Middle Tennessee State University, 1995.