| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
The Administration Building was the second major building on the campus. Originally, the campus fronted on Main Street, where the building was located. It housed the bell that was rung in celebration and for warning. The auditorium on the second floor, when functional, had some of the best acoustics in the area and hosted such luminaries as Eleanor Roosevelt and Nelson D. Rockefeller, as well as a number of entertainers.
Currently, administrative functions are moving onto the main campus of the University, located in the Valley of Learning. Tentative plans are to renovate the building as an arts center in order to provide a public presence in the community.
The Administration building is most often used to represent the University as a whole. Pictures usually include a gate donated by one of the graduating classes.
Bond, S. Orestes. The Light of the Hills: A History of Salem College. Charleston, WV: Education Foundation, 1960.
Davis, Dorothy Upton. History of Harrison County, West Virginia. Clarksburg, WV: American Association of University Women, 1970.
Smith, Myron J. 100 Years of Opportunity: A Pictorial History of Salem College, 1888-1988. Marceline, MO: Walsworth Press, 1988.
Zinn, Timothy G. A Historic Preservation Plan for Salem, West Virginia. Murfreesboro, TN, Middle Tennessee State University, 1995.
Zinn, Timothy G. Salem College Administration Building. National Register of Historic Places designtation report. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/ National Park Service, 1989.