Council of Independent Colleges Historic Campus Architecture Project

 

 
Shober House

Click on image titles for larger views.
Institution Name: Salem College
Original/Historic Place Name: Gottlieb Shober House
Location on Campus: West St. on Salem Square
Date(s) of Construction:
1785original construction
1979reconstruction
Designer: unknown
Type of Place: Individual building
Style: Regionalist/Vernacular, Other (Glossary)
Significance: architecture, history
Narrative: see below
References: see below
Materials:
Foundation: stuccoed stone
Walls: brick
Roof: clay tile
 
Function:
ca. 1785other (first post office for the village of Salem)
ca. 1785private residence (of Gottlieb Shober, tinsmith, papermill owner, postmaster, and state senator)
1937-1973library
ca. 2004-present (2006)admissions office
 

Narrative:
Gottlieb Shober built his 1 1/2 story house facing Salem Square in 1785. Shober filled many roles in the Salem community: tinsmith, paper mill owner, house painter, postmaster, lawyer, minister, organ-player, and state senator. His home served as Salem's first Post Office. Shober's pasture was located across the street at the site of the current Lehman Hall.

Shober's daughter, Paulina, was one of two local girls to enroll in the new Boarding School (1805). All four of his daughters would teach in the school: Johanna Sophia (1805-1809), Paulina (1812-1820), Maria Theresa (1817-1819), and Henrietta (1837-1838).

In the 19th century, the Shober House became the residence of the Dean of the School of Music and remained so until the late 1920s, when it was demolished to make way for the new college library (1937). In 1973, the Library was moved ninety feet south and then renovated and enlarged.

The Shober House was reconstructed in 1979 using documentary and archaeological evidence, including photographs of the original building. It stands on Salem Square as an integral part of the Old Salem Historic District. The 1 1/2 story, four bay house has a gable roof and central chimney. The brickwork is Flemish bond with glazed headers. The house is currently used as the Salem College Admissions office.
 

References:

Albright, Frank, and Frank Horton. "History of Properties in Old Salem." Manuscript. Siewers Archive Room, Dale H. Gramley Library, Salem College, Winston-Salem, NC, 1970.

Griffin, Frances. Less Time for Meddling: A History of Salem Academy and College, 1772-1866. Winston-Salem, NC: John F. Blair Publishers, 1979.

Hartley, Michael O., and Martha B. Boxley. Salem Survey 1997. Winston-Salem, NC: Old Salem, Inc., 1997.

Hartley, Michael O., and Martha B. Boxley. Survey Files for Salem National Register Landmark District Proposal. Winston-Salem, NC: Old Salem, Inc., 1997.

Hunter, James. Old Salem Official Guidebook. Salem, NC: Old Salem, Inc., 1994.

Old Salem Historic District [including Salem College]. National Register of Historic Places designation report. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/ National Park Service, 1966.

Rauschenberg, Bradford L. Salem College Study. Winston-Salem, NC: Wachovia Historical Society, 1983.

Taylor, Susan. Salem Campus Tour. [Salem, NC: Salem College], 1990.

 

Contact us / About Site / About CIC
© 2006
Council of Independent Colleges
Washington, DC
All rights reserved
Last update: November 2006