| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
In the late eighteenth century, the site of this building served as the pasture for Gottlieb Shober, who lived across the street (see Shober House information). In 1892, "The Cottage" was built as a dormitory for Salem students. Until the early decades of the 20th century, this building marked the southern border of the Salem Academy and College campus.
The building was later renamed Lehman Hall to honor Emma Augusta Lehman, who was "Senior Teacher" and taught literature for 52 years (1864-1916). In addition to being a beloved teacher, Miss Lehman wrote a number of historical sketches about Salem Female Academy and local history and published a volume of poems. She was an amateur botanist who discovered a new plant species which was later named for her: Monotropsis Lehmanii.
The two-story brick building has five bays with segmental arched windows. The entrance bay is a Colonial Revival door surround with fluted engaged columns and a delicate fanlight with paired windows on the second floor. The building originally had a full façade front porch.
Since the mid 1960s, Lehman Hall has been used as offices for student services.
Albright, Frank, and Frank Horton. "History of Properties in Old Salem." Manuscript. Siewers Archive Room, Dale H. Gramley Library, Salem College, Winston-Salem, NC, 1970.
Hartley, Michael O., and Martha B. Boxley. Salem Survey 1997. Winston-Salem, NC: Old Salem, Inc., 1997.
Hartley, Michael O., and Martha B. Boxley. Survey Files for Salem National Register Landmark District Proposal. Winston-Salem, NC: Old Salem, Inc., 1997.
Old Salem Historic District [including Salem College]. National Register of Historic Places designation report. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/ National Park Service, 1966.
Rauschenberg, Bradford L. Salem College Study. Winston-Salem, NC: Wachovia Historical Society, 1983.
Taylor, Susan. Salem Campus Tour. [Salem, NC: Salem College], 1990.