| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
Built in 1888, the house was designed to accommodate increased enrollment and was originally named Annex Hall. In the fall of that year, thirty young women moved into the two-story, white frame structure, designed in Queen Anne style with a porch, gables, an upper back deck, two study parlors, classrooms, and a second floor divided into thirty-six sleeping alcoves. According to the November 1888 issue of The Academy, each room was wainscoted in oak, gas was "in every department," the bathrooms had hot and cold water "and every modern convenience."
The Annex was converted to a home for President Rondthaler and his family in 1924. The Rondthalers lived there for 25 years. President and Mrs. Gramley and their four sons occupied the home from 1949 until 1971. In 1972, Salem Academy and College acquired the Joshua Boner House in Old Salem, where the current president resides. In 1984, the Annex was renamed the Rondthaler-Gramley House and furnished with antiques to provide accommodations for campus guests. Located in the center of Salem's beautiful and historic campus, the hospitable and warm home has five bedrooms, two and a half baths, a comfortable living room, parlor, music room and dining room, an upstairs guest kitchen, and a downstairs caterer's kitchen.
Hartley, Michael O., and Martha B. Boxley. Salem Survey 1997. Winston-Salem, NC: Old Salem, Inc., 1997.
Hartley, Michael O., and Martha B. Boxley. Survey Files for Salem National Register Landmark District Proposal. Winston-Salem, NC: Old Salem, Inc., 1997.
Old Salem Historic District [including Salem College]. National Register of Historic Places designation report. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/ National Park Service, 1966.
Rauschenberg, Bradford L. Salem College Study. Winston-Salem, NC: Wachovia Historical Society, 1983.