Gristmill Museum, General Store and Environmental Education Center
| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
The Gristmill is a fully operational mill with most machinery dating back to 1854. Originally operated by steam, the equipment was converted to electrical power in the 1950s. It has recently been restored and conforms with contemporary codes and today it is a visitor and educational center. It still produces flour used by the monks and students and serves to educate visitors about industrial techniques of the 19th century, as well as contemporary techniques in wetland conservation.