| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
The Archabbey Basilica has been the center of the Saint Vincent campus since 1905. In 1996 the exterior was restored and the spires were completed. The interior has been restored and updated with new lighting and PA systems.
The Basilica is significant as a prime example of Romanesque revival and its beautiful furnishes in art. Paintings and stained glass by international artists are placed throughout the upper and lower (crypt) church.
The Basilica is the mother church of the American Benedictine order, and because of its historic and artistic importance it was designated a basilica by Pope Pius XII in 1955. It was built by in-house labor: bricks were handmade on site, and timber and stone processed there as well. All work was done by Benedictine lay-brothers.