Council of Independent Colleges Historic Campus Architecture Project

 

 
Campus

Click on image titles for larger views.
Institution Name: Augustana College (IL)
Original/Historic Place Name: Campus
Location on Campus: 639 38th St.
Date(s) of Construction:
1970scampus master plan Perkins, Fellows & Hamilton
ca. 1985campus master plan update Bulfinch, Richardson & Abbott
Designer: Perkins, Fellows & Hamilton (Chicago); Bulfinch, Richardson & Abbott
Type of Place: Campus arrangement
Style: (Glossary)
Significance: architecture, landscape
Narrative: see below
References: see below
Function:
1888-present (2006)master plan (campus)
 

Narrative:
The north campus area contains the fine arts and athletic facilities, as well as landscaping. The central campus area has 10 buildings, with a surrounding wooded quadrangle/oval area. South campus contains residence halls next to ravines and is connected to other campus areas by the ravine path, Slough Path. No single style of architecture dominates. Rather, the campus reveals clearly the "depth of time" of changing styles in American college architecture and campus design from the 1880s to the 2000s. This authentic "depth of time" in this cultural landscape is its strength. The master plan was completed in the 1970s by Perkins, Fellows & Hamilton (Chicago, IL) and was updated by Bulfinch, Richardson & Abbott in the mid-1980s.
 

References:

Brolander, Glen E. An Historical Survey of the Augustana College Campus. Rock Island, IL: Augustana Historical Society, 1985.

Historical Highlights of Augustana College, A Walking Tour. Pamphlet. Rock Island, IL: City of Rock Island Planning and Redevelopment Division, 2002.

 

Contact us / About Site / About CIC
© 2006
Council of Independent Colleges
Washington, DC
All rights reserved
Last update: November 2006