Council of Independent Colleges Historic Campus Architecture Project

 

 
Le Fer Hall

Click on image titles for larger views.
Institution Name: Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College
Original/Historic Place Name: Le Fer Hall
Location on Campus: east side of the Avenue, south of Woodlawn Inn
Date(s) of Construction:
1921-1924original construction
Designer: unknown
Type of Place: Individual building
Style: Beaux-Arts classicism, Other (Glossary)
Significance: architecture, religion
Narrative: see below
References: see below
Materials:
Foundation:
Walls:
Roof:
 
Function:
ca. 1924-present (2006)other (offices)
ca. 1924-present (2006)student union (sudent center, formal parlor, ballroom, reception rooms)
ca. 1924-present (2006)classrooms
ca. 1924-present (2006)residence hall
ca. 2004-present (2006)gymnasium (exercise room)
 

Narrative:
Le Fer Hall was named after two of Blessed Mother Theodore Guerin's companions who came to America from France. The stained glass windows on the landing of the marble stairs just above the main floor are the gift of the class of 1930. The windows were executed in the Munich studios of E. Frei, of Saint Louis. Work is being done to air condition parts of the building, and all student rooms have outside exposure.
 

References:
 

Contact us / About Site / About CIC
© 2006
Council of Independent Colleges
Washington, DC
All rights reserved
Last update: November 2006