Council of Independent Colleges Historic Campus Architecture Project

 

 
Guerin Hall

Click on image titles for larger views.
Institution Name: Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College
Original/Historic Place Name: Guerin Hall
Location on Campus: west side of the Avenue, between the library and the Conservatory of Music
Date(s) of Construction:
1911original construction
Designer: unknown
Type of Place: Individual building
Style: Beaux-Arts classicism, Other (Glossary)
Significance: architecture, religion
Narrative: see below
References: see below
Materials:
Foundation: four stories of white brick ornamented with Bedford limestone
Walls:
Roof:
 
Function:
ca. 1913-present (2006)classrooms (including laboratories)
ca. 1913-present (2006)residence hall (first for entire student body; then freshmen; today students with children)
ca. 1924student union (social hall, reception rooms)
ca. 1924-present (2006)admissions office (and financial aid)
ca. 1924-present (2006)administration (offices of the President, registrar, business affairs, public relations, development, and alumni relations)
 

Narrative:
The Anne Therese Guerin Hall-- now commonly called Guerin Hall--was named in honor of the founder of the Sisters of Providence. Until January 1924, it housed the entire college student body. It then served as the residence hall for freshmen and for the administration offices. The building has also housed laboratories, a social hall, and reception rooms.

Today, the first and second floors house administrative offices, including the offices of the president, admission and financial aid, registrar, business affairs, public relations, development and alumnae relations. Classes are also held in the building, and our student mothers live here with their children.
 

References:
 

Contact us / About Site / About CIC
© 2006
Council of Independent Colleges
Washington, DC
All rights reserved
Last update: November 2006