Council of Independent Colleges Historic Campus Architecture Project

 

 
Conservatory of Music

Click on image titles for larger views.
Institution Name: Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College
Original/Historic Place Name: Conservatory of Music
Location on Campus: west side of the Avenue, north of Guerin Hall
Date(s) of Construction:
1911original construction
Designer: unknown
Type of Place: Individual building
Style: Beaux-Arts classicism, Other (Glossary)
Significance: architecture, religion
Narrative: see below
References: see below
Materials:
Foundation: three-story structure of white brick and Bedford limestone
Walls:
Roof:
 
Function:
ca. 1913-present (2006)auditorium (Cecilian Auditorium)
ca. 1913-present (2006)academic department building (music)
 

Narrative:
The Conservatory of Music was constructed at the same time as Guerin Hall and is also in the Italian Renaissance style. The College recently replaced the roof and revised the electrical systems. The College also restored plaster columns and bordering in the Cecilian Auditorium.

The building houses classrooms, chorus rooms, studios, music faculty offices, and the Cecilian Auditorium.
 

References:
 

Contact us / About Site / About CIC
© 2006
Council of Independent Colleges
Washington, DC
All rights reserved
Last update: November 2006