Council of Independent Colleges Historic Campus Architecture Project

 

 
Slough Path

Click on image titles for larger views.
Institution Name: Augustana College (IL)
Original/Historic Place Name: Slough
Location on Campus: south central section connecting lower and upper campuses.
Date(s) of Construction:
Designer:
Type of Place: Landscape site
Style: (Glossary)
Significance: landscape
Narrative: see below
References: see below
Function:
ca. 1890-present (2006)other (biological research and teaching activities)
ca. 1960-present (2006)outdoor space (pathway connecting quads, natural waterway)
 

Narrative:

The Slough Path ravine walkway was developed in the mid-1960s as a means to connect the older main campus with the new residence halls then being constructed on land from the Davis gift. Several creeks make their way into the ravine to form a pond at the lower end. This waterway has taken many forms since the campus was first developed in 1875, and only took its current form in 1991, after the completion of the Augustana Library.

During a five-minute stroll down the path, the careful observer will note a wealth of flora and fauna. Depending on the season, you may spot wood ducks, kingfishers, painted turtles, and herons --deer and coyotes are extremely rare sightings, though not unheard of. The hillsides abound with plant life, including bloodroot, wild ginger, may apple, common thistle, and wild geranium.

The Slough is significant for its engineering of waterways and retention structures of earth and large stones.
 

References:

Brolander, Glen E. An Historical Survey of the Augustana College Campus. Rock Island, IL: Augustana Historical Society, 1985.

Historical Highlights of Augustana College, A Walking Tour. Pamphlet. Rock Island, IL: City of Rock Island Planning and Redevelopment Division, 2002.

 

Contact us / About Site / About CIC
© 2006
Council of Independent Colleges
Washington, DC
All rights reserved
Last update: November 2006