St. Mary's Hall
| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
St. Mary's Hall, originally known as "Dunroven," was built in 1915 for Edward M. Story. It replaced an earlier Victorian mansion, "Bloomfield," designed by Hazelhurst & Huckel for industrialist Cyrus Chambers Jr. in 1886. Bloomfield was demolished to make way for Dunroven, though the original Hazelhurst & Huckel designed carriage house remains on the campus of St. Joseph's University. The structure is named Claver House and is the home of the university's honors program. Horace Trumbauer, who designed St. Mary's Hall, was one of the most successful architects of the Gilded Age.
Catholic Herald. [n.d.].
Donnelly, Eleanor C. A Memoir of Father Felix Joseph Barbelin, S. J. Philadelphia, PA: Frank A. Fasy, 1866.
Kathrens, Michael C. American Splendor, The Residential Architecture of Horace Trumbauer. New York: Acanthus Press, 2002.
Noll, Ray Robert. "A History of St. Joseph's College, Philadelphia, Pa. Before the Civil War." Manuscript. Archives, Saint Joseph's University, Philadelphia, PA.
Philadelphia Catholic Standard and Times. [n.d.].
Public Ledger. [n.d.].
Thomas, George E. William L. Price Arts and Crafts to Modern Design. New York: Princeton Architectural Press, 2000.