| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
The Loyola Center (Jesuit Residence) was built in 1893 for Frederick P. Hays. The architect was Lindley Johnson (1854-1937), who worked in the office of Frank Furness after graduation from the Ecole des Beaux-Arts. He is best known for his residential work and the development of Fairmont Park, where he designed a number of structures. He designed at least one--and possibly three--other houses on the campus of St. Joseph's University. He also designed for the University of Pittsburgh.
Loyola Hall was presented to Dennis Cardinal Dougherty as a gift in 1927, and it served as the official residence of the Cardinal Archbishop of Philadelphia until 1938. During Dougherty's time in the house, Dr. Albert C. Barnes, owner of the Barnes Foundation, built a 10 foot high wall along the property line which he shared with the cardinal. Labeled "Dr. Barnes' Spite Fence" in the Philadelphia newspapers, construction of this wall ended in a legal dispute because Barnes had the wall nicely finished on his side and left the wall unfinished and unstable on the cardinal's side. The purpose of the wall was to screen the view of new housing construction on a nearby street, a view that offended Barnes's artistic sensibilities when seen from his arboretum. The wall remains to this day.
Catholic Herald. [n.d.].
Donnelly, Eleanor C. A Memoir of Father Felix Joseph Barbelin, S. J. Philadelphia, PA: Frank A. Fasy, 1866.
Kathrens, Michael C. American Splendor, The Residential Architecture of Horace Trumbauer. New York: Acanthus Press, 2002.
Noll, Ray Robert. "A History of St. Joseph's College, Philadelphia, Pa. Before the Civil War." Manuscript. Archives, Saint Joseph's University, Philadelphia, PA.
Philadelphia Catholic Standard and Times. [n.d.].
Public Ledger. [n.d.].
Thomas, George E. William L. Price Arts and Crafts to Modern Design. New York: Princeton Architectural Press, 2000.