| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
Atkinson Hall was designed to provide housing for male students, usually freshmen. It also was built to house international students. Although a simple structure, the students respond to its comfort, and it has been praised by young men who occupy the building. Like many other buildings in the area, it was named to honor the memory of Bishop Atkinson of the Episcopal Diocese of North Carolina.
Boykin, James H. "St. Augustine's College, 1938-1958." Typescript. [1958?]. Archives, St. Augustine's College, Raleigh, NC.
Brown, David W. St. Augustine's College Campus. National Register of Historic Places designation report. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/ National Park Service, 1980.
Chitty, Arthur Ben. A Brief History of St. Augustine's College. [s.l: s.n., n.d.].
Halliburton, Cecil D. A History of St. Augustine's College 1867-1937. Raleigh, NC: Edwards and Broughton Company, 1937.
Roundtree, Thelma Johnson. Strengthening the Ties that Bind: A History of Saint Augustine's College. Raleigh, NC: St. Augustine's College, 2002.