Council of Independent Colleges Historic Campus Architecture Project

 

 
Prezell R. Robinson Library

Click on image titles for larger views.
Institution Name: Saint Augustine's College
Original/Historic Place Name: Prezell R. Robinson Library
Location on Campus: 1315 Oakwood Ave.
Date(s) of Construction:
1972original construction
Designer: unknown
Type of Place: Individual building
Style: Modern/post-WWII (Glossary)
Significance: architecture, culture, education, religion
Narrative: see below
References: see below
Materials:
Foundation: tan brick
Walls: plaster
Roof: roofing
 
Function:
1972-present (2006)library
 

Narrative:
The Prezell R. Robinson Library is the main library located in the heart of the Saint Augustine campus. It was built in 1972 as a brick and concrete structure of two stories and a basement and named to recognize the remarkable achievements of Dr. Robinson. It also honors his leadership in the area of education and his contributions to the presidency of the United Negro College Fund.
 

References:

Boykin, James H. "St. Augustine's College, 1938-1958." Typescript. [1958?]. Archives, St. Augustine's College, Raleigh, NC.

Brown, David W. St. Augustine's College Campus. National Register of Historic Places designation report. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/ National Park Service, 1980.

Chitty, Arthur Ben. A Brief History of St. Augustine's College. [s.l: s.n., n.d.].

Halliburton, Cecil D. A History of St. Augustine's College 1867-1937. Raleigh, NC: Edwards and Broughton Company, 1937.

Roundtree, Thelma Johnson. Strengthening the Ties that Bind: A History of Saint Augustine's College. Raleigh, NC: St. Augustine's College, 2002.

 

Contact us / About Site / About CIC
© 2006
Council of Independent Colleges
Washington, DC
All rights reserved
Last update: November 2006