| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
Delany Hall is located on the campus quadrangle. Built in 1930, it is a rectangular brick building with classical revival detailing. It was and remains a women's dormitory.
Delaney carries the name of Bishop Henry Beard Delany's wife, Nan Delany, who served as Head Matron or Dean of Women and was also the mother of Sadie and Bessie, the characters for Having Our Say, a Broadway play filmed at St. Augustine's College. Trees have also been planted on the grounds nearby in honor of Sadie and Bessie.
Boykin, James H. "St. Augustine's College, 1938-1958." Typescript. [1958?]. Archives, St. Augustine's College, Raleigh, NC.
Brown, David W. St. Augustine's College Campus. National Register of Historic Places designation report. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/ National Park Service, 1980.
Chitty, Arthur Ben. A Brief History of St. Augustine's College. [s.l: s.n., n.d.].
Halliburton, Cecil D. A History of St. Augustine's College 1867-1937. Raleigh, NC: Edwards and Broughton Company, 1937.
Roundtree, Thelma Johnson. Strengthening the Ties that Bind: A History of Saint Augustine's College. Raleigh, NC: St. Augustine's College, 2002.