Benson Library (second building)
| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
Benson number two is one of the oldest buildings on campus. It is a cruciform stone structure built in 1930 that was renovated for use as the main library. Gifts from individual trustees make this project possible, and they also inspired other gifts through the national church. The additional space for Benson number two took on the form of an annex so that accreditation requirements were met according to standards. The building served as a library until 1972, and now houses college offices.
Boykin, James H. "St. Augustine's College, 1938-1958." Typescript. [1958?]. Archives, St. Augustine's College, Raleigh, NC.
Brown, David W. St. Augustine's College Campus. National Register of Historic Places designation report. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/ National Park Service, 1980.
Chitty, Arthur Ben. A Brief History of St. Augustine's College. [s.l: s.n., n.d.].
Halliburton, Cecil D. A History of St. Augustine's College 1867-1937. Raleigh, NC: Edwards and Broughton Company, 1937.
Roundtree, Thelma Johnson. Strengthening the Ties that Bind: A History of Saint Augustine's College. Raleigh, NC: St. Augustine's College, 2002.