Council of Independent Colleges Historic Campus Architecture Project


Sections, The

Click on image titles for larger views.
Institution Name: Roanoke College
Original/Historic Place Name: Wells and Yonce Halls
Location on Campus: Back Quad
Date(s) of Construction:
1910-1913original construction
Designer: unknown
Type of Place: Individual building
Style: Other (Glossary)
Significance: architecture, education, landscape
Narrative: see below
References: see below
Foundation: brick
Walls: brick
Roof: slate
ca. 1910-present (2006)residence hall

Wells Hall, the first section of men's dormitories (known as "Sections 1, 2, and 3"), was built in 1910. It honors Dr. Simon Carson Wells, a teacher of mathematics and natural science on the faculty from 1849 until his death in 1900. Dr. Wells served as Secretary to the Board of Trustees for 47 years. His only absence from campus was to serve in the Civil War.

By 1913, another men's dormitory was needed. Yonce Hall, the fourth and fifth halls of Sections, was financed by Alumni gifts and honors Dr. William B. Yonce, professor of ancient languages and literature from 1854 until 1895, who, like Dr. David Bittle and Dr. Wells, gave his full life to the students of Roanoke College. A sixth section, Fox Hall, was added in 1958, named for Luther Fox, a long time professor of religion and history from 1882 to 1924.


Eisenberg, William E. The First Hundred Years, Roanoke College, 1842-1942. Salem, VA: Trustees of Roanoke College, 1942.

Miller, Mark F. Dear Old Roanoke, A Sesquicentennial Portrait, 1842-1992. Macon, GA: Mercer University Press, 1992.

Traditions: Roanoke College Yesterday and Today. Salem, VA: Roanoke College, 1981.

Virginia Historic Landmarks Commission. Main Campus Complex, Roanoke College. National Register of Historic Places designation report. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/ Park Service, 1973.


Contact us / About Site / About CIC
© 2006
Council of Independent Colleges
Washington, DC
All rights reserved
Last update: November 2006