Council of Independent Colleges Historic Campus Architecture Project

 

 
Trout Hall

Click on image titles for larger views.
Institution Name: Roanoke College
Original/Historic Place Name: East Hall
Location on Campus: Front Quad
Date(s) of Construction:
1867original construction
Designer: unknown
Type of Place: Individual building
Style: Greek revival, Victorian (Glossary)
Significance: education, religion
Narrative: see below
References: see below
Materials:
Foundation: brick
Walls: brick
Roof: slate
 
Function:
ca. 1867chapel
ca. 1867-1920other (boys' preparatory school)
ca. 1867-1930student union (Demostenian Society parlor)
ca. 1920-1970other (offices)
ca. 1920-1970classrooms
ca. 1970-present (2006)other (counseling center)
ca. 1970-present (2006)other (Religious Life Center, including chaplain's offices)
 

Narrative:
Dating from 1867 and named for John Trout of Roanoke County, who donated money for its construction, Trout is the third oldest building on campus. Mr. Trout was also president of the Board of Trustees of the College from 1866 until 1882.

The depression on the lawn in front of Trout is all that is left of the hole gouged out to make bricks on the building site. The original building contained a small chapel, the walls of which were lined with marble memorial tablets. The building was renovated in 1939, and in the 1960s it was adapted for use as a language laboratory. The marble tablets of the chapel remain and may be seen today on the walls of the offices on the ground floor. The building is presently used for the Chaplain's office and other related activities.
 

References:

Eisenberg, William E. The First Hundred Years, Roanoke College, 1842-1942. Salem, VA: Trustees of Roanoke College, 1942.

Miller, Mark F. Dear Old Roanoke, A Sesquicentennial Portrait, 1842-1992. Macon, GA: Mercer University Press, 1992.

Traditions: Roanoke College Yesterday and Today. Salem, VA: Roanoke College, 1981.

Virginia Historic Landmarks Commission. Main Campus Complex, Roanoke College. National Register of Historic Places designation report. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/ Park Service, 1973.

 

Contact us / About Site / About CIC
© 2006
Council of Independent Colleges
Washington, DC
All rights reserved
Last update: November 2006