Council of Independent Colleges Historic Campus Architecture Project

 

 
Miller Hall

Click on image titles for larger views.
Institution Name: Roanoke College
Original/Historic Place Name: West Hall
Location on Campus: Front Quad
Date(s) of Construction:
1857original construction
1946expansion
Designer: unknown
Type of Place: Individual building
Style: Greek revival (Glossary)
Significance: education
Narrative: see below
References: see below
Materials:
Foundation: brick
Walls: brick
Roof: slate, composition
 
Function:
ca. 1857other (seminary)
ca. 1857academic department building (engineering)
ca. 1857-1930student union (student Ciceronian Society)
ca. 1857-present (2006)other (offices)
ca. 1857-present (2006)classrooms
 

Narrative:
Named for Michael Miller of Roanoke County, who donated the $1,000 needed for construction, this Hall is the second oldest building on campus. It was erected in 1857 and renovated in 1932, then enlarged to its present form in 1946. Mr. Miller was a member of the original founders of the Virginia Collegiate Institute and was instrumental in helping locate the Salem site of Roanoke College when the Institute was moved from near Staunton in 1847.

Miller Hall was long home to the Physics and Mathematics programs. It was the first electrified campus building (1892) and the first with plumbing as well (1907). For twenty-five years, it served as the campus Civil Defense Center, complete with air raid siren during the Cold War. With the opening of the new Science Complex in 1970, the building was renovated again as classroom and office space.
 

References:

Eisenberg, William E. The First Hundred Years, Roanoke College, 1842-1942. Salem, VA: Trustees of Roanoke College, 1942.

Miller, Mark F. Dear Old Roanoke, A Sesquicentennial Portrait, 1842-1992. Macon, GA: Mercer University Press, 1992.

Traditions: Roanoke College Yesterday and Today. Salem, VA: Roanoke College, 1981.

Virginia Historic Landmarks Commission. Main Campus Complex, Roanoke College. National Register of Historic Places designation report. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/ Park Service, 1973.

 

Contact us / About Site / About CIC
© 2006
Council of Independent Colleges
Washington, DC
All rights reserved
Last update: November 2006