Middle Hall (also Smith Hall 1903-1971)
| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
Middle Hall has been remodeled several times, including a complete renovation after a 1931 fire that destroyed most of the interior. It is still in good condition, although not handicapped accessible. The designers and builders are unknown.
The building was designed as a facility for women students, reflecting the College's coeducational mission from the beginning. As the second of the three original buildings, it became Middle College after construction of the third. It later housed the College's first laboratory (biology), along with the "cabinet" or museum. After completion of a new women's dorm in 1888, it became a men's dorm, and after 1958 the headquarters of the administration. From 1903-1971, it was called Smith Hall in honor of a donor.
Ashley, Robert and George H. Miller. Ripon College: A History. Ripon, WI: Ripon College Press, 1990.
Cartwright, Carol Lohry. Ripon College Historic District. National Register of Historic Places designation report. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/ Park Service, 1995.
Peotter, Tonya, Dianne Bell, George Miller, and Louise Schang. "Ripon College Buildings: Past and Present." 1989, revised 1991. Archives, Lane Library, Ripon College, Ripon, WI. Online (2006). http://www.ripon.edu/library/archives/reference/building_ref_man/default.html