| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
Originally built as the home of a Claremont citrus grower, the Grove House was saved from potential demolition by moving it to the Pitzer College, north of Mead Hall, in 1977. Here at Pitzer, the house has a new lease on life, serving as a campus social center. Built in 1902, during the height of what has been termed the American Arts and Crafts movement, it is an impressive architectural example of the California bungalow style, characteristic of that period.
Restored and furnished in a manner appropriate to its heritage, the Grove House provides students and faculty with comfortable spaces to meet, study, or have lunch. Other spaces in the house include the Ecology Center, the Bert Meyers Poetry Room, the Hinshaw Art Gallery, a women's center, a guest room, and a meeting room. The house also regularly hosts a variety of events, including poetry readings and musical performances.