| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
Reed College was founded in 1912 and based its development and growth on a historic master plan designed by A.E. Doyle, a significant American architect. This master plan located two buildings, Eliot Hall and The Dormitory Building. While the Master Plan was not followed thereafter, the original two buildings as well as Hauser Library create the heart of the campus. A "great lawn" area in front of the buildings now complements their location. This open space has become a significant architectural feature that defines the campus.
Hegemann, Werner, and Elbert Peets. The American Vitruvius: An Architects' Handbook of Civic Art. New York: Architectural Book Publishing Co., 1922.
Ritz, Richard E. A History of the Reed College Campus and Its Buildings. Portland, OR: Trustees of the Reed Institute, 1990.
Turner, Paul Venable. Campus: An American Planning Tradition. New York: Architectural History Foundation; Cambridge, MA: MIT Press, 1984.