| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
Eliot Hall and the Old Dorm Block building were the first buildings constructed on the Reed campus. They were sited and designed to fit into the overall Master Plan for the College, and their location and visual beauty set the image of the Campus for years to follow. They are currently in excellent condition and are used for their original function.
Eliot Hall contains the "Chapel," with its oak paneling, wooden pews, and organ pipes (no longer an organ). It is used for lectures and also serves as a film center, a venue for various social functions, and a wedding hall.
Howard, John Galen. "University Buildings Reference Number--Part II." Architectural Forum 44 (June 1926): 401-08.
Indiana Limestone Quarrymen's Association. Indiana Limestone for School and College Buildings. Indiana Limestone Library, vol. 6, series B. Bedford, IN: Indiana Limestone Quarrymen's Association, 1924.
Klauder, Charles Z., and Herbert C. Wise. College Architecture in America and Its Part in the Development of the Campus. New York and London: C. Scribner's Sons, 1929.
Ritz, Richard E. A History of the Reed College Campus and Its Buildings. Portland, OR: Trustees of the Reed Institute, 1990.