Smith Memorial Hall
| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
The senior class of 1911 launched the effort to construct this building prior to the death of Dr. William Waugh Smith, the founder and first president of the College, in 1921. Their desire was to create a students' building housing an auditorium, banquet room, formal drawing room, quarters for day students, alumnae offices and parlor, and offices for various student organizations. It was named for Dr. Smith, "who saw this college begin, who has never failed her at any time, and who in this present instance has carried out in long and faithful detail the plan and has entered into the spirit whereby the building should be erected."
The building was dedicated in February 1923 followed by a more elaborate dedication program on Founder's Day in 1923. The Honorable Calvin Coolidge, then Vice-President of the United States, was the principal speaker. This building has been used for a wide variety of social, political, and cultural programs throughout the years, hosting many prominent speakers and performers. It serves as a Lynchburg community performance and event space.
Cornelius, Roberta D. The History of Randolph-Macon Woman's College. Chapel Hill, NC: University of North Carolina Press, 1951.
Randolph Macon Woman's College, Lynchburg, VA. Historic American Buildings Survey photographs. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/ National Park Service, n.d.